Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Paula Deen's Cheese Biscuits


As expected, I haven't been cooking this week. Last night's dinner was simply stuffed potatoes with cheese, broccoli, and leftover chicken. I wanted to make these biscuits but Brandon went to a friend's and it was just Kyle and me. I'm working on taxes (ugh!), and my goal is to get them finished by the end of the week so I can adjust our impound budget (which will mean more spending money!) Anyway, I didn't get to the biscuits after all, but if I had.....

We made these for the first time at Christmas. I added some pepper sauce to Paula Deen's recipe, which made it similar to the Red Lobster recipe for Chesapeake Bay Biscuits. I used an ice cream scoop. They spread out and were quite large (about 3 inches in diameter). They had a fluffy texture, not too heavy, with melted cheese throughout. They were good at the meal, but even better the next day. Bob loved them.

PAULA DEEN'S CHEESE BISCUITS
Makes 24 biscuits

4 cups self-rising flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons sugar
2/3 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated (6 ounces)
2 cups lowfat buttermilk
Salt
4 tablespoons butter, melted
dash Tabasco sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt, to taste, and sugar together using a fork; cut in shortening until it resembles cornmeal. Add cheese. Stir in buttermilk all at once just until blended. Do not overstir.

Drop by tablespoonfuls, or use an ice cream scoop, onto a well-greased baking sheet. Brush tops with melted butter. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.

Nutrition Facts:
Per Serving: 179 Calories; 10g Fat (52.0% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 17g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 13mg Cholesterol; 390mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

No comments: