Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Catching up and Cupcake Ramblings

Well, it's been over a week and I've been lazy about posting blogs. I've been cooking and taking pictures, but they're backing up in my folders. Time to catch up.

I bought a couple of new cookbooks (couldn't resist) - "Crazy about Cupcakes" and "The Barefoot Contessa". I'm a bit obsessed about cupcakes for the moment. I know it won't last, but for now, I'm fantasizing about cupcakes. I'm not so crazy about the elaborate decorations and add-ons that seem to be common on the cupcake websites - not to dis these very artistic and talented ladies, just that's not for me.

What I do like is the fluffy toppings, made with fancy star tips and round tips attached to a pastry bag. Sprinkle with some nonpareils, sprinkles, and so forth, and I'm pretty happy with the results.

I'm trying to decide on the next cupcake to try. I like being able to be able to eat a couple of them, and then send the rest to the office with Bob. That way, they're not sitting there for me to nibble on (so they won't go to waste, of course!) Barefoot Contessa's Coconut Cupcakes look inviting - white cake with white icing and flaked coconut topping; Billy's Vanilla, Vanilla Cupcakes with either Vanilla or Chocolate Buttercream; Carrot with Cream Cheese Frosting and chopped walnut topping (more like individual carrot cakes); Chocolate with Espresso Frosting (Linz wouldn't touch these if she was around!); Apple with Cream Cheese Frosting (maybe use the Captain Morgan recipe). That's it for now. Knowing me, the interest will burn itself out. I may or may not ever get to these recipes, but it's fun to make a list and fantasize a little.

No comments: