Sunday, February 11, 2007

Maze Gohan


Maze Gohan, originally uploaded by Sweet Sugarplums.

My dad's aunt would make enormous vats of this rice for family gatherings. He came from huge family, 10 kids here in America (and 2 that stayed behind in Japan when the family emigrated). There'd be 50 of us in the house on the holidays. This rice was always part of the meal. I've never had rice like this before or since and have been trying to figure out the secret. It was basically pork fried rice but it was sweet. I think carrot and sugar may be what make the difference. I recently heard from my cousin Paul that Auntie would also use a lot of bacon grease (ah-ha!) - of course, what wouldn't taste great with bacon grease!

I use various combinations of meats when I make fried rice. My favorite is chicken, ham, and shrimp. This time, I used leftover pork roast, soy chicken strips, and Chinese lop chong sausage. I didn't have greens (spinach or bok choy). After I took the picture, I realized I had forgotten the peas. I like them more for the color than anything else, but there was definitely something missing without them. It's important to use cold rice so the grains stay separate and firm.

MAZE GOHAN

3 stalks celery, minced
1 onion, slivered
1 carrot, slivered
mushrooms, sliced, optional
2 cups spinach, coarsely chopped
3 eggs
1/4 cup peas
4 cups cooked white rice

1/4 cup hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon sherry
green onions, chopped

Heat a tablespoon of oil in a wok over highest heat. Stir-fry the carrot, onion, and celery until tender. Add some sherry if needed, to allow vegetables to steam and reduce browning. Add mushrooms and cook until soft and the liquid has evaporated. Add spinach and cook until wilted down. Remove from pan to large serving bowl or platter.

Add another tablespoon of oil to wok. Add rice and cook until warmed and lightly browned. Remove to bowl with the vegetables.

Heat another tablespoon of oil. Add eggs and cook until set into a 1/2-inch pancake. Remove from pan and chop into 1/2-inch cubes.

Combine sauce ingredients and heat in the wok. Return all ingredients to the wok and stir gently. Season to taste with more sugar, sesame oil, and bean sprouts if desired. Add green onions at the end so they keep their bright color and shape.

No comments: