Saturday, February 10, 2007

Caesar Salad with Make-Do Croutons

Caesar Salad with Make-Do Croutons

Caesar salad is my everyday salad. Kyle will eat huge bowlfuls of it, so that's a good thing. I usually just throw together torn romaine hearts, grated Parmesan, and a nice dressing (we like Cardini's brand). If I feel like splurging, I'll add some homemade croutons. Honestly, I'm the only one who likes the croutons, so the splurging is really for me and not for anybody else.

I didn't have any crusty bread and wanted some garlic croutons in the salad tonight. I used some regular good-quality sandwich bread (buttermilk, in this case) and sliced it into 1-inch cubes. I think it would have been better to tear the bread into pieces.

MAKE-DO CROUTONS

3 slices buttermilk bread, or other firm sandwich bread
1/2 stick unsalted butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
Dash salt

Tear the bread into approximately 1-inch pieces.

Melt the butter in a medium skillet. Stir in the garlic and simmer on very low heat until the garlic softens and is fragrant. Stir in the bread and season with salt. Stir until the bread is evenly coated. Toast over a low heat, stirring frequently, until golden brown. Sprinkle with salt.

Makes enough croutons for 2 salads.

No comments: