Monday, January 29, 2007

Baked Tomatoes


Baked Tomatoes, originally uploaded by Sweet Sugarplums.


Bob works with Persian businessmen, and they often discuss business over lunch. He's wanted me to learn to make Persian rice, and I've just never been able to master it. I probably need some hands-on instruction. Anyway, the restaurants will often serve baked tomatoes on the side, and Bob loves to combine them with his rice. Now, tomatoes I can manage and I've made a version of these for many years. I invariably get a positive comment and a smile when I serve this to Bob, even on plain jasmine rice.


For something more Mediterranean, eliminate the basil and substitute crumbled feta for the Parmesan.

BAKED TOMATOES
Serves 2

4 tomatoes
Oregano
Basil
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cut tops off tomatoes. Score the tops to allow tomatoes to open as they bake

Sprinkle with seasonings. Top with 2 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese

Bake uncovered for 30-45 minutes, or until very soft.

Serve over basmati rice.

NUTRITION FACTS
Per Serving: 143 Calories; 7g Fat (40.5% calories from fat); 10g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 16mg Cholesterol; 394mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat.

No comments: