Friday, November 24, 2006

Spanky


Meet Spanky, our parti-colored cocker spaniel.

Spanky was a rescue dog that we adopted when he was a teenager. He was abused and distrustful of humans in general, but has gradually mellowed out over time. We've had him for about 8 years now.

Spanky is our trash-dog, cat-dog, and general troublemaker. We kept his name when we took him in, and little did we know how appropriate the name was.

Spanky is a jumper. A very talented jumper. A very aggravating jumper, at times. This guy has been known to jump onto kitchen counters to steal food, dining room tables to steal food, over fences to steal food. Well, I guess there's a theme here.

He's very crafty and too smart. He's smart enough to wait until we're not around before he gets into things. One day, we were busy upstairs doing bills and accounting for the apartments. Nothing was happening downstairs. After about half an hour, I suddenly remembered that Spanky was down there without any supervision. Had I left food on the counter? No, I didn't think so. Was the trash can left out? No. Okay, all's probably fine. Suddenly, we heard something drop in the kitchen. Uh oh.

Bob went running downstairs.

B - Spanky! How did you get up there??? Get down from there!

S - Snarl / whimper (which in Spanky talk means "Help me, I'm stuck!")

N - (calling downstairs) Bob! What's going on??

B - You'll never believe this. Come down and see for yourself.

So, down I go.

N - Where is he?

Bob points to the top of the refrigerator, next to the kitchen counter.

I guess nothing's safe.

No comments: