Friday, November 24, 2006

Memories

Linz and I were talking with Dan, his mom, and sister, sharing stories.

L - Mom, remember when all you would make was Chinese food? I don't like Chinese food to this day.

N - What, because of that time?

(Bob gave me a fantastic gift, a series of cooking lessons at the home of cookbook author Lily Loh. We would watch, help prep, and then sit down to a beautiful meal in her dining room. Typical of me, I became totally obsessed with Chinese cooking. It was so fast and simple, perfect for after a long day at work. Unfortunately, I would cook Chinese food 4-5 times a week, and naturally, after a couple or three weeks, the kids revolted.)

N - Hey, I only cooked that way for about a month, and then it was a couple of years before I could even try to serve a Chinese meal to the family. Don't you remember? Anyway, that was maybe 15 years ago!

L - What I remember is having Chinese food all the time.

N - Bob, is this how you remember it?

(Bob looks puzzled, shrugs his shoulders, and clearly doesn't want to get involved. He looks at Linz.)

N - Linz, remember, I would plot out my menu for the week - Mexican one day, then Italian, Chinese, American, left-overs, etc?

L - Yeah, I do remember that. But..... it would be Mexican-Chinese, Italian-Chinese, Chinese-Chinese......

No comments: